Regardless of the items you are selling, when it comes to retail, there are rules of customer service that are applicable across the board. Here is a list of some tips for better selling, or rather, better customer service which will lead to more sales.
- Be upfront and honest - Honesty truly is the best policy. This holds exceptionally true when referring to being honest with customers. When a mistake is made, a consumer is more likely to forgive a mistake that is acknowledged versus one that is ignored. Part of this is merely a matter of respect.
- Be considerate - What you say and what you do can be impactful, so do your best to not offend with your words or actions. Respect your customer. More than just watching what you say, this includes truly listening and paying attention to what your customers are saying.
- Be friendly - Most customers prefer to work with friendly associates versus their not-so-friendly counterparts. Even when facing a mediocre day, remember to put on a happy face. Perception can be more important than reality at times, so let your customers think you are friendly and happy-go-lucky even when you are not.
- Be knowledgeable - The more you know your product and your audience, the better your sales should be. Do your research. Familiarize yourself with any niche needs that your competitors might be overlooking.
- Be valuable - Your products need to represent a value to the purchaser. Demonstrating these attributes to your shoppers not only gives them reason to purchase, but it also adds value to you.
- Be suggestive - Refrain from limiting your sales to one item, but always remember to cross-sell related items that your customer may be interested in. Though not all customers will be amenable, you might be surprised at how often cross-selling is successful.
- Be nonjudgmental - The customer is always right, even when they are wrong. If you find fault with something that a customer says, if at all possible, try to keep your feelings and emotions separate from the issue at hand. You don’t have to agree with your customer, but a bit of sympathetic understanding can go a long way.
- Be social - Use social media to speak to your audience. That audience is full of potential customers. All of the suggestions mentioned above need to be adhered to both in-person and online.
- Be willing to do whatever it takes - When all is said and done, those with a “can do” attitude tend to be more successful than those who stick to doing the bare minimum. Take whatever steps you can to appease your customers. A happy customer is a returning customer.
Some of these tips may be considered self-evident. It doesn’t hurt, however, to see a few friendly reminders of what we should be doing. And when we heed and follow our reminders, our sales should follow suit as well.
About Bed and Brand
Bed & Brand. We know Bedding. We know Branding. We are your premier wholesale and dropship source for all things bedding - from pillows to bedsheets, to mattress protectors, and more. We only sell the highest quality bedding products at the best prices. Located in South Florida, Bed & Brand was started with the mission of providing top-grade, value-priced, bedding products to businesses like yours. Our low prices and our high-quality products are what makes your business successful. Our expertise in branding and private labeling make your business stand out from the crowd. With Bed & Brand by your side, you know you will receive exemplary customer support, vast product selection, and years of experience from our certified experts.