Shopping is a necessity. People need food, clothing, and shelter. These items are far from free, and the fact that people must purchase these to survive isn’t going to change any time soon. The way that people shop for these needs (in addition to their wants), however, is constantly evolving. Before the mid-1990s, online shopping hadn’t even been invented. Now, approximately 25 years later, online shopping is abundant and thriving. With the vast array of shipping options available, the insurgence of dropshipping, and the convenience of shopping in one’s pajamas, online shopping has become even more enticing.
When it comes to retail, you need to determine if you should focus your efforts on your brick and mortar location or your online initiatives. And if you can understand the reasons why people shop, you can better determine what you need to do to get consumers to purchase from you.
Here are some factors that influence why people prefer to shop in-store:
- Touch it, feel it, taste it - When it comes to shopping, there is something to be said about the ability to take something in your hands and feel the material (and, when applicable, the ability to taste something). This is something that cannot be replicated online no matter how explicit an item’s description is.
- Questions get answered more quickly - Shopping in a store provides consumers the opportunity to interact with a live person. This salesperson can often answer questions more quickly, and more pleasantly, than the automated systems that many online stores utilize.
- The thrill of the hunt (and don't forget immediate gratification) - Having the ability to go to a store, search for a specific item, purchase the item and take it home the same-day is a key reason why there are still many people who prefer shopping in-store over on-line.
- Easy returns - Knowing there is the option to go back to a store and easily return or exchange an item provides yet another advantage over in-store shopping.
Conversely, here are reasons why people enjoy online shopping:
- Research - When consumers shop online they have more information at their fingertips about products, including environmental impact and sustainability of both the companies they are purchasing from and the products these companies sell. With an increased focus on sustainability and the environment, this information is integral to many shoppers.
- Convenience - The ability to shop 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, is a big draw for many online shoppers. Whether it’s because their work or personal lives get in the way of getting to a store during operating hours, or simply because they do not want to go into a store, there is the factor of convenience when shopping for items while sitting in front of a computer.
- Pricing - Many stores only offer on-line shopping. This often means less overhead costs for these companies, such as no retail space to pay for, and these savings can be passed on to the consumer.
- Quick delivery - Many online stores offer next-day, if not same-day, delivery at discounted prices, sometimes even for free. Being able to order online and have the product in-hand at such a quick turnaround without added cost makes online shopping highly compelling.
Now that you understand why some people prefer shopping in-store, and why others prefer shopping online, you can cater to your consumers. By focusing your selling on how you think your customers would prefer to be sold to, don't be surprised if you see your sale soar.
About Bed and Brand
Bed & Brand. We know Bedding. We know Branding. We are your premier wholesale and dropship source for all things bedding - from pillows to bedsheets, to mattress protectors, and more. We only sell the highest quality bedding products at the best prices. Located in South Florida, Bed & Brand was started with the mission of providing top-grade, value-priced, bedding products to businesses like yours. Our low prices and our high-quality products are what makes your business successful. Our expertise in branding and private labeling make your business stand out from the crowd. With Bed & Brand by your side, you know you will receive exemplary customer support, vast product selection, and years of experience from our certified experts.