You had a bad day. First, remember that bad days aren’t failures. You didn’t make your sales goals, you forgot to enter important information, or maybe you had to let go of a valuable employee. Whatever the situation, understand that not all days can be perfect. You might have had a bad day, but does a bad day mean bad business? More importantly, how can you overcome bad days? Here are six things you can do when you have had a bad day:
- Forgive yourself - If your bad day is because you made a mistake, you need to learn to forgive yourself. You are human, and as such, you will make mistakes. The English poet Alexander Pope wrote, “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” This is important to remember. If you can’t forgive yourself, you won’t be able to move past any mistakes. The best thing about mistakes is we can learn from them so that, hopefully, we don’t repeat them.
- Take responsibility - Often bad days are due to the activities of the day. When you take responsibility for your actions, whether those actions were positive or negative, your employees will give you more respect. It’s important to own up to any poor choices you have made or could have made better to show your employees that, like them, you aren’t infallible.
- Put things into perspective - Maybe your bad day isn’t as bad as you think. If you look at the day and the situation realistically, you may be able to see where you could have improved how you could have handled the day differently. This will help you not only to move forward but also to handle any similar situations better in the future. It will also help you realize that one poor choice does not have to equate to disaster.
- Make a list and check it twice - You may not be Santa Claus, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t check yourself. When you have had a bad day, create a list of what happened and the effects of those actions. You may want to consider making a list of alternative actions. Being able to look back and this list and reflect on the circumstances may help you avoid similar days later.
- Just breathe - Sometimes all you need to do when you have a bad day is to take a moment and to take a breath. Breathing exercises are especially helpful at giving you clearer focus and helping you to clear your mind.
- Focus on the now - Don’t get so overcome by emotion that you are unable to fulfill other necessary and important duties and responsibilities. The past is the past, and it may not be able to be changed. Instead of dwelling on the bad day that is behind you, look forward to what is ahead and the positive change you can bring about.
If you had a bad day, or you made a mistake or an improper business decision, this does not mean you failed. Your business can recover. Remind yourself that bad days don’t mean bad business.
About Bed and Brand
Bed & Brand. We know Bedding. We know Branding. We are your premier wholesale and dropship source for all things bedding - from pillows to bedsheets, to mattress protectors, and more. We only sell the highest quality bedding products at the best prices. Located in South Florida, Bed & Brand was started with the mission of providing top-grade, value-priced, bedding products to businesses like yours. Our low prices and our high-quality products are what makes your business successful. Our expertise in branding and private labeling make your business stand out from the crowd. With Bed & Brand by your side, you know you will receive exemplary customer support, vast product selection, and years of experience from our certified experts.